Cluster Builder is a tool that let you use traits, categories, and events captured in your website to create an audience and activate it.
You can find this tool on Data Platform -> Cluster Builder
If you haven't created any clusters yet, the screen will look like this
Creating a New Cluster
To create a New Cluster click on the button "+ New Cluster" in the top right of the screen.
You will see this page with the following options:
- Name*: Name of the cluster you want to build.
- Description: Short description of the cluster.
- Period*: Choose the period of captured data for this cluster (max 180 days).
- Tags: Choose tags to identify or group clusters.
- Identifiers: Select the type of user you want on your cluster (users with identifiers of type email, user_id, anonymous_id, gaid or UUID) based on what ad campaign you’re gonna run (by default all users are selected).
* Required Fields
Then you can pick conditions to segment these users
To see more about conditions, check this.
You will also see the "Total Reach" of users, which means the number of users who matched the conditions you selected.
When the Cluster is ready to go, click on the "Save Button".
Conditions will help you to segment an audience by its characteristics. There is a list of all possible filters.
The statements help you to filter out or in, group or choose multiple characteristics of a user at once.
WHO - WHO NOT
Determines which users are (or not) in this segment.
Example: Users 'WHO NOT' use device type "Mobile". -> Users that use "Tablet" and "Desktop" devices but not mobile.
When you create two conditions or more with this statement it means the users that belong to the cluster have met at least one of these conditions.
Example: Users 'WHO' use device type "Mobile" OR "Desktop" -> Users who used "Mobile" or "Desktop" devices but not "Tablet"
AND - AND NOT
When you create two conditions or more with this statement it means the users that belong to the cluster have met all the conditions specified.
Example: Users 'WHO' use device type "Mobile" AND "Desktop" -> Users who entered the website in a mobile device and also in a desktop device
Fall into Category
This condition let you select between the next options the users fall into:
- Connection Type: Cable/DSL, Cellular, Corporate, Dialup.
- Country: Every country in Europe, North and Central America or South America.
- Devices: The type of device used (Desktop, Mobile, Tablet).
- Enrichment: If Available, for clients that uses Datonics Enrichment Feature.
- Feed Categories: If your product feed is loaded in Epica, you could use categories as a filter.
- ISP: Internet Service Provider.
- Operating system: Android, iOS, Linux, OS X, Windows or Windows Phone.
- URL Parameters: UTM information captured.
- Web browser: Android Browser, Chrome, Firefox, IE, Opera, Safari, Others.
Have an Event
You can choose any of the events that capture information on your website and it's properties.
When you select an Event a list of options will appear:
- URL: Specifies the URL when the event was triggered.
You can input the value you want to match using the conditions:
- contains: The URL has the input parameter as a substring.
For example: http://wikipedia.org contains "wiki".
- equals: Is exactly the same as the input parameter.
- starts with: Starts with exactly as the input parameter.
- ends with: Ends with exactly as the input parameter.
- RegEx: Regular expressions, for more info, read this.
- contains: The URL has the input parameter as a substring.
- Feed Category: If your product feed is loaded in Epica, it lets you select a product category.
- Aggregation: If your event has properties that are arrays (multiple products, multiple views) you can use this function to aggregate numeric values like price or quantity. This tool also aggregates multiple events, so if the person has bought different products over the last months, all of the products bought will be grouped.
You can select an aggregation function to group the values, the property which you need to aggregate, the condition to be met and a numerical input to compare with this value.
For example: If you choose: SUM by "price" >= 150 this will add all of the users who bought more than $150 into this cluster.
- sum: The addition of every value (total).
- uniq: Count of Unique Values. For example: (value1, value2, value1 -> uniq=2).
- max: Maximum value.
- min: Minimum value.
- avg: Average value.
- Frequency: The number of times this event was triggered by the user:
If you pick between a new input box will appear to select two values.
- Sources: Specifies where this event is coming from (Website, Image Pixel, SDK)
- Period: Let you select a period in which this event was triggered between 1 and 180 days.
Have a Trait
This filter is for identified users, you can use the traits collected to build a segment, for example, if you captured "gender" information on "identify" events, you can use this to build the cluster. You can check if the user has this trait or match the result with a parameter input.
You can also select a period to filter when this information was captured.
Have a Sequence
You can use this tool to create Funnels depending on user behavior.
You can add an "Event" or "Any Activity" to the Funnel and use all the elements mentioned before to simulate specific behavior.
Placeholders let you save an input parameter to use it in "Cluster Builder" tool, it makes easier to replicate clusters with the same pre-defined conditions.
To create a Placeholder go to Data Platform -> Cluster Builder and select "PLACEHOLDERS" in the top right of the screen.
To generate a new placeholder click in "New Placeholder" button in the top right of the screen.
This window will appear:
Here, you can define:
- Name: Name of the placeholder
- Description: Short description of the placeholder
- Value: Single or Multiple Value
- Single: A single value, For example: "Hello".
- Multiple: A list of values.
Then, click the "Save" button to save this placeholder.
You will see it now on the placeholder menu.
To use it in the Cluster Builder, just create or edit a cluster and you will see this option in every input box when you hover it.
If you select "Use placeholder", now he input box will turn into a dropdown with all of the placeholders you created.